Chúng ta đã ôn lại hai thì quá khứ hoàn thành và quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn trong các bài trước. Trong bài này,chúng ta cùng phân biệt hai sự khác nhau giữa hai thì này nhé.
1. Cấu trúc
|Quá khứ hoàn thành||Quá khứ hoàn hành tiếp diễn|
|Động từ “to be”:|
S + had been + Adj/ noun
Ex: My father had been a great dancer when he was a student.
S + had been + Ving
Ex: When I looked out at the window, it had been raining.
Động từ thường:
S + had V3/ed + O
Ex: I met them after they had divorced each other.
2. Chức năng
|Quá khứ hoàn thành||Quá khứ hoàn thành tiếp diễn|
|1. Diễn đạt một hành động xảy ra trước một hành động khác trong quá khứ.
Ex: We had had lunch when she arrived.
|1. Diễn đạt một hành động xảy ra trước một hành động khác trong Quá khứ (nhấn mạnh tính tiếp diễn).
Ex: I had been thinking about that before you mentioned it.
|2. Dùng để mô tả hành động trước một thời gian xác định trong quá khứ.
Ex: I had finished my homework before 10 o’clock last night.
|2. Diễn đạt một hành động kéo dài liên tục trước một thời gian xác định trong quá khứ.
Ex: My father had been driving for 2 hours before 11pm last night. (Bố tôi đã lái xe liên tục 2 tiếng đồng hồ trước thời điểm 11h tối hôm qua.)
|3. Được sử dụng trong Câu điều kiện loại 3:
Ex: If I had known that, I would have acted differently.
|3. Dùng để nhấn mạnh hành động kết quả để lại trong quá khứ.
Ex: This morning he was very tired because he had been working very hard all night.
|Dấu hiệu nhận biết|
|When, by the time, until, before, after,…||Since, for, how long,… thường nhấn mạnh tính kéo dài, tiếp diễn, xảy ra trong 1 khoảng thời gian của hành động.|
3. Bài tập:
1.The storm destroyed the sandcastle that we (build).
A. had been building
B. had built
2. He (not / be) to Cape Town before 1997.
A. not be
B. had not be
C. had not been
3. We (sleep) for 12 hours when he woke us up.
A. had been sleeping
B. had slept
4. They (wait) at the station for 90 minutes when the train finally arrived.
A. had waited
B. had been waiting
C. had wait
5. When she went out to play, she (do / already) her homework.
A. had already done
B. have already done
C. already done
D. has already done
6. My brother ate all of the cake that our mum (make).
A. Had made
B. Had been making
7. The doctor took off the plaster that he (put on) six weeks before.
A. has put on
B. had put on
C. had been putting on
8. We (look for) her ring for two hours and then we found it in the bathroom.
A. had looked
B. had looking
C. had been looking
9. (you / finish) your homework before you went to the cinema?
A. Have you finished
B. Had you finished
C. Did you finished
D. Can you finished
10. (Why / you / clean) the bathroom before you bathed the dog?
A. Why had you cleaned
B. Why you had cleaned
C. Why cleaned you had
D. Why had you cleaning
11. (you / have) breakfast before you came here?
A. Had had you
B. Had you had
C. Did you have
D. Do you have
12. (she / find) a place to stay when she went to Boston?
A. Had she found
B. Had she find
C. Did she find
D. Had she founding
13. (where / she / live) before she moved to Chicago?
A. Where did she live
B. Where had she lived
C. Where had she live
D. Where had she lives
14. I (not / walk) for a long time, when it suddenly began to rain.
A. did not walk
B. had not been walking
C. had not walked
15. How long (learn / she) English before she went to London?
A. had she learned
B. had she been learning
C. had she learn
D. she leared
16. Frank Sinatra caught the flu because he (sing) in the rain too long.
A. had been singing
B. had sang
C. had sung
D. had singing
17. He (drive) less than an hour when he ran out of petrol.
A. had been driving
B. had driving
C. had drived
18. They were very tired in the evening because they (help) on the farm all day.
A. had been helped
B. had been helping
D. did helped
19. I (not / work) all day; so I wasn’t tired and went to the disco at night.
A. had not been working
B. had worked
C. had not worked
D. had not been worked
20. They (cycle) all day so their legs were sore in the evening.
A. had been cycle
B. had been cycling
C. had cycled
D. had been cycled
|1. C||2. C||3. A||4. B||5. A|
|6. A||7. B||8. C||9. B||10. A|
|11. B||12. A||13. B||14. B||15. B|
|16. A||17. A||18. B||19. A||20. B|